Council 93 is offering a four-part Basic Steward Training Conducted by Tracy Monahan & David Murray
- Part 1 – Roles and Responsibilities of a Steward (11/17/2020)
- Part 2 – Five Steps of Grievance Handling (11/24/2020)
- Part 3 – Documenting and Writing a Grievance (12/1/2020)
- Part 4 – Moving Workers to Action (12/8/2020)
- Basic Stewards Training Part l : Roles and Responsibilities of a Steward-This training will walk new stewards (and those that need a refresher) through their various roles when acting in a steward capacity and how to identify if a grievance exists. Tips, tools, and strategies for being a great steward. The equality doctrine and the legal rights of union stewards.
- Basic Steward Training Part II: Five Steps of Grievance Handling- This training includes identifying grievances, an overview of the 5 steps of the grievance process, and a deep dive into investigating grievances. Asking the right questions, meeting timelines, fulfilling the duty of fair representation, guiding the grievant through the process, an overview of the whole process with tips for success.
- Basic Steward Training Part III: Documenting and Writing a Grievance- Marshalling your evidence, asking the right questions, union requests for information and documentation to the employer, organizing your file, building a strong case, anticipating the employer's arguments, preparing for a strong presentation, and guiding the grievant through the process.
- Basic Steward Training Part IV: Moving Workers to Action-This session includes best practices for approaching new hires, identifying leaders, and mobilizing members to build power in the workplace. Supercharge your grievances! Direct action strategies and tactics to mobilize members to resolve workplace problems. Building union members sense of their own power and understanding through experience that they are the union.
Tweets by @AFSCME93